Eastern America's Highest Volunteer Fire Department!

Memorial Scheduled Oct. 6th
for former Fire Chief Mooradian

Memorial for Fire Chief Mooradian

Reuben Mooradian was born in North Attleboro, Massachusetts on February 20,1930. After attending college at the University of Missouri he enlisted in the United States Army on July 3, 1952.

He served in the 8240th Army Unit of the United Nations Partisan Forces Korea, two tours in Vietnam (one of the first "advisors" to have learned Vietnamese) and several tours in Laos. He was, proudly, one of the first Special Forces soldiers. He retired from the Army on July 31, 1971 as a Lieutenant Colonel.

After retirement, Reub and his wife moved to Beech Mountain, NC where he lived until his death on September 19, 2017 after a bout with cancer. Following retirement he enrolled at Appalachian State University, where he earned a Master's Degree in Banking and Finance. He was a founder of the Beech Mountain Fire Department and served as Fire Chief from 1974 until 1995. Following the incorporation of Beech Mountain as a Town, he served many years as a Town Council member.

A Memorial Service will be held at 2:00PM in the Beech Mountain Community Recreation Hall at Buckeye Lake on Friday, October 6, 2017.

Fire Equipment image

NC opens emergency shelters for Irma evacuees

Donations for Houston
By Martha Quillin
September 09, 2017 9:11 PM

North Carolina opened four emergency shelters Saturday night and a fifth on Sunday to house people fleeing Hurricane Irma from Florida and other states.

The huge storm – 80 miles wide with winds of 125 mph as it leaves Cuba and turns toward Florida – prompted one of the largest evacuations in U.S. history. As many as 6 million people were expected to leave the Sunshine State to get out of Irma’s path.

Read more here



NFPA Post-Holiday Safety

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there are more home structure fires in the cooler months than any other time of year. As pine needles begin to drop on living room carpets, NFPA is offering suggestions for safe storage and removal of holiday decorations.

“It’s not uncommon to see residents keeping lights and Christmas trees up past December,” said Lorraine Carli, vice president of communications for NFPA. “The reality is, continued use of seasonal lighting and dried-out Christmas trees can pose significant fire hazards in and outside the home.”

Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they have a higher chance of being deadly. NFPA recommends getting rid of the tree when it’s dry. Dried trees should not be kept in the home, garage, or placed outside against the home. Check with your local community to find a recycling program.


Beech Mountain Volunteer Fire Department Reinforces Newer Smoke Alarm Recommendations during Fire Prevention Week, October 9-15, 2011

What’s the best way to protect your family from fire? Be ahead of the game, of course. With more than 360,000 home fires reported in the United States in 2009, according to the nonprofit National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), your best defense is a good offense. That’s why Beech Mountain’s Volunteer Fire Department is teaming up with NFPA during the October 9-15, 2011, to let our community know: “It’s Fire Prevention Week. Protect your Family from Fire!” This year’s campaign focuses on preventing the leading causes of home fires -- cooking, heating and electrical equipment, as well as candles and smoking materials. Additionally, it urges people to protect their homes and families with life-saving technology and planning.


Shedding Light on Another
Potential Fire Hazard

A couple of years ago, I moved into a new house and found in virtually every light socket a compact fluorescent lamp. These are the spiral light bulbs that are supposed to be much more energy efficient than the incandescent light bulb, which had been the standard since Thomas Edison perfected it in 1879. Indeed, CFLs last up to 15 times longer and use only one-third the energy of traditional light bulbs. Finding that my new home was festooned with them pleased me greatly, as I am equal parts environmentalist and cheapskate. I had read that should a CFL ever shatter the hazmat team should be dispatched because of the bulb’s high mercury content, but I wasn’t very concerned about that, as clumsiness is not amongst my traits.


Smoking Safety

Careless Smoking: The #1 Cause of Fire Deaths

Fires started with smoking materials are the leading cause of fire-related deaths in the United States and also a leading cause of fire injuries among older people. Cigarette fires occur from being carelessly discarded in the trash, smoking in bed and being dropped in upholstered furniture. Many times alcohol and medication use plays a role. Often the smoker falls asleep, the cigarette falls on a sofa or chair cushion where it can smolder for hours.

<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

Page 1 of 2