Banner
Eastern America's Highest Volunteer Fire Department!

Firefighter Injured Battling Three-alarm
Warehouse fire in High Point

HIGH POINT, N.C. — Sleet and ice Monday night and Tuesday morning made conditions dangerous for firefighters putting out a three-alarm blaze on Taylor Avenue.

One firefighter was hurt after falling off a ladder. He received minor injuries and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

“Our immediate thought is their safety,” said High Point Fire Chief Thomas Reid. “[The] last thing we want to happen is anybody to get hurt.”

Firefighters say it could have gone much worse with about a quarter- to a half-inch of ice blanketing sidewalks and streets.

“The job in itself is a challenge to start with,” Reid said. “When you throw Mother Nature in there, it makes it a little more complicated.”

The fire started around 11 p.m. Monday at the old Myrtle Desk building at 801 Millis St. near the intersection of W. Green Drive and Taylor Avenue. High Point Fire Chief Thomas Reid said the building was fully involved when firefighters arrived.

 

Lucas 2 Chest Compression System

Created: December, 2013

Automatic CPR device saves life of woman who was clinically dead for 42 minutes

Updated Mon 19 Aug 2013, 7:40pm AEST, Melbourne

Ms Tanasio says the device saved her life and all hospitals should have one. (ABC TV News)

A woman who was clinically dead for 42 minutes is preparing to leave a Melbourne hospital after being treated with a lifesaving piece of equipment that performs CPR.

Vanessa Tanasio, 41, started feeling chest pains at her Narre Warren home last Monday morning. Her mother called 000 and an ambulance arrived soon after.

One of Ms Tanasio's main coronary arteries was completely blocked, and she needed numerous defibrillator shocks, including one in the ambulance on the way to the Monash Medical Centre.

When she arrived she was conscious but soon went into full cardiac arrest. Doctors say she was clinically dead for 42 minutes. They say they were able to save her life using a piece of equipment known as the Lucas 2 External Compression Device.

The $15,000 device automatically performs CPR, or chest compressions, to maintain the circulation of oxygen to the heart and brain.

 

 

NFPA Post-Holiday Safety

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there are more home structure fires in the cooler months than any other time of year. As pine needles begin to drop on living room carpets, NFPA is offering suggestions for safe storage and removal of holiday decorations.

“It’s not uncommon to see residents keeping lights and Christmas trees up past December,” said Lorraine Carli, vice president of communications for NFPA. “The reality is, continued use of seasonal lighting and dried-out Christmas trees can pose significant fire hazards in and outside the home.”

Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they have a higher chance of being deadly. NFPA recommends getting rid of the tree when it’s dry. Dried trees should not be kept in the home, garage, or placed outside against the home. Check with your local community to find a recycling program.

Read more...
 

Beech Mountain Volunteer Fire Department Reinforces Newer Smoke Alarm Recommendations during Fire Prevention Week, October 9-15, 2011

What’s the best way to protect your family from fire? Be ahead of the game, of course. With more than 360,000 home fires reported in the United States in 2009, according to the nonprofit National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), your best defense is a good offense. That’s why Beech Mountain’s Volunteer Fire Department is teaming up with NFPA during the October 9-15, 2011, to let our community know: “It’s Fire Prevention Week. Protect your Family from Fire!” This year’s campaign focuses on preventing the leading causes of home fires -- cooking, heating and electrical equipment, as well as candles and smoking materials. Additionally, it urges people to protect their homes and families with life-saving technology and planning.

Read more...
 

Shedding Light on Another
Potential Fire Hazard

A couple of years ago, I moved into a new house and found in virtually every light socket a compact fluorescent lamp. These are the spiral light bulbs that are supposed to be much more energy efficient than the incandescent light bulb, which had been the standard since Thomas Edison perfected it in 1879. Indeed, CFLs last up to 15 times longer and use only one-third the energy of traditional light bulbs. Finding that my new home was festooned with them pleased me greatly, as I am equal parts environmentalist and cheapskate. I had read that should a CFL ever shatter the hazmat team should be dispatched because of the bulb’s high mercury content, but I wasn’t very concerned about that, as clumsiness is not amongst my traits.

Read more...
 

Smoking Safety

Careless Smoking: The #1 Cause of Fire Deaths

Fires started with smoking materials are the leading cause of fire-related deaths in the United States and also a leading cause of fire injuries among older people. Cigarette fires occur from being carelessly discarded in the trash, smoking in bed and being dropped in upholstered furniture. Many times alcohol and medication use plays a role. Often the smoker falls asleep, the cigarette falls on a sofa or chair cushion where it can smolder for hours.

Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

Page 1 of 2